Important!
This replacement procedure can be used for:
BMW 5 Touring (E39) 525 d, BMW 5 Touring (E39) 520 d, BMW 5 Touring (E39) 530 d View more

The steps may slightly vary depending on the car design.

How to change engine radiator on BMW E39 Touring [TUTORIAL AUTODOC]

video
Tools
Replacement: engine radiator – BMW E39 touring. Tools you might need:
All-purpose cleaning spray
Torque wrench
Combination spanner #32
Drive socket # 8
HEX bit No.H5
Ratchet wrench
Flat screwdriver
Clip removal tool
Funnel
Fluid container
Crow bar
Fender cover
Replacement: engine radiator – BMW E39 touring. AUTODOC experts recommend:
  • Follow the terms, recommendations and requirements of the part operation provided by the manufacturer.
  • Check the coolant condition and replace it if necessary.
  • Please note: all work on the car – BMW E39 touring – should be done with the engine switched off.
Carry out replacement in the following order:
  1. Step 1
    How to change Engine Radiator on BMW E39 Touring 1996 - free PDF and video manuals
    Open the hood.
  2. Step 2
    How to replace BMW 5 Touring (E39) 530d 3.0 1997 Engine Radiator - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Use a fender protection cover to prevent damaging paintwork and plastic parts of the car.
  3. Step 3
    BMW E39 Touring 525i 2.5 1998 Engine Radiator replacement: free workshop manuals
    Unscrew the coolant reservoir cap.
  4. Step 4
    Changing Engine Radiator on BMW 5 Touring (E39) 523 i 1999 by yourself
    Remove the fan shroud clips. Use a clip removal tool.
  5. Step 5
    How to remove BMW 5 SERIES 520 i 2000 Engine Radiator - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Unscrew the cooling fan fastener. Use a combination spanner #32 (2 pieces).
  6. Step 6
    How to replace Engine Radiator on BMW 5 Touring (E39) 2001: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Remove the fan shroud. Remove the cooling fan.
  7. Step 7
    How hard is it to do yourself: Engine Radiator replacement on BMW E39 Touring 530 i 2002 - download illustrated guide
    Prepare a container for fluids.
  8. Step 8
    Need to know how to renew Engine Radiator on BMW 5 SERIES 2003? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Open the coolant drain tap.
  9. Step 9
    Changing of Engine Radiator on BMW E39 Touring 2004 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Drain the coolant from the engine.
    Replacement: engine radiator – BMW E39 touring. Tip:
    Caution! The coolant can be very hot.Wear gloves to prevent contact with hot liquid.All work should be done with the engine stopped.Wait until the coolant has completely flowed out of the drain hole.
  10. Step 10
    Close the coolant drain tap.
    Step 11
    BMW 5 SERIES 530d 3.0 Engine Radiator replacement: online guides and video tutorials
    Detach the clamp of the upper coolant hose. Use a crowbar.
  11. Step 12
    Replacing Engine Radiator on BMW E39 Touring 1997 530d 3.0 by yourself
    Detach the upper coolant hose.
    Replacement: engine radiator – BMW E39 touring. Tip from AUTODOC experts:
    Caution! Coolant may leak from radiator openings.
  12. Step 13
    5 Touring (E39) 520 i 1998 Engine Radiator DIY replacement workshop manual
    Detach the clamp of the lower coolant pipe. Use a crowbar.
  13. Step 14
    How to change Engine Radiator on BMW 5 Touring (E39) 1999 - tips and tricks
    Detach the lower coolant pipe.
    Replacement: engine radiator – BMW E39 touring. AUTODOC recommends:
    Caution! Coolant may leak from radiator openings.
  14. Step 15
    Step-by-step recommendations for DIY replacement BMW E39 Touring 2000 520 i Engine Radiator
    Unscrew the radiator fasteners. Use a drive socket #8. Use a ratchet wrench.
  15. Step 16
    DIY replacement of Engine Radiator on BMW 5 Touring (E39) 525d 2.5 2001 is not an issue anymore with our step-by-step tutorial
    Remove the radiator.
  16. Step 17
    How to change Engine Radiator on BMW E39 Touring 1996 - free PDF and video manuals
    Install the new radiator.
  17. Step 18
    How to replace BMW 5 Touring (E39) 530d 3.0 1997 Engine Radiator - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Screw in the radiator fasteners. Use a drive socket #8. Use a ratchet wrench.
  18. Step 19
    BMW E39 Touring 525i 2.5 1998 Engine Radiator replacement: free workshop manuals
    Clean the coolant hose. Use all-purpose cleaning spray.
  19. Step 20
    Changing Engine Radiator on BMW 5 Touring (E39) 523 i 1999 by yourself
    Attach the lower coolant pipe.
  20. Step 21
    How to remove BMW 5 SERIES 520 i 2000 Engine Radiator - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Attach the clamp of the lower coolant pipe.
  21. Step 22
    How to replace Engine Radiator on BMW 5 Touring (E39) 2001: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Clean the coolant hose. Use all-purpose cleaning spray.
  22. Step 23
    How hard is it to do yourself: Engine Radiator replacement on BMW E39 Touring 530 i 2002 - download illustrated guide
    Attach the upper coolant hose.
  23. Step 24
    Need to know how to renew Engine Radiator on BMW 5 SERIES 2003? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Attach the clamp of the upper coolant hose.
  24. Step 25
    Changing of Engine Radiator on BMW E39 Touring 2004 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Install the cooling fan. Install the fan shroud.
  25. Step 26
    BMW 5 SERIES 530d 3.0 Engine Radiator replacement: online guides and video tutorials
    Tighten the cooling fan fastener. Use a combination spanner #32 (2 pieces). Use a torque wrench. Tighten it to 33 Nm torque.
Was this manual helpful?
Please rate this manual on a scale from 1 to 5. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.
Users voted – 0
Your profile is your personal assistant.

It can track car expenses, keep a car log and replacement schedule, and save favourite materials, notes and documents

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!
Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.
BMW 5 Touring (E39) Engine Radiator replace by yourself - Scan QR-code and download AUTODOC CLUB app
Scan

To download the app:

• - scan the QR code
  • - download from App Store
  • - download from Google Play
DIY BMW 5 Touring (E39) Engine Radiator replacement - online guide
Tips & tricks for your BMW 5 Touring (E39)
View more
  • How to change Radiators on BMW 5 Touring (E39) 525d 2.5 - replacement tricks
    How to repair a bumper yourself | AUTODOC tips
  • Changing Engine radiator BMW E39 Touring 530d 3.0 - Replacement Tips
    What to do if the belt squeals | AUTODOC tips
  • Maintenance Hacks - BMW 5 Touring (E39) 525i 2.5 Radiator, engine cooling replacement guide
    Things you should never do with an automatic transmission | AUTODOC tips
  • Replace Radiators on BMW E39 Touring - free video tips
    How to clean an engine bay | AUTODOC