MT is manual transmission. It provides interconnection between the engine and driving wheels, transmitting and transforming mechanical power.Functions
- it transmits the driving torque from the power unit to driving wheels;
- it changes driving torque parameters (direction and value).
The main functional elements of the manual gearbox are gears, which interconnection provides transmission of the driving torque. Control of classic manual transmission is performed by hand. The floor-mounted or column-mounted gear levers are used for gear shifting.
Manual gearboxes differ by quantity of speeds (4-, 5-, 6-speed and more). For modern car manufacturing mostly 5-speed manual transmissions are popular.Relying on a construction there are 2 types of manual gearboxes:
- three-shaft (mostly installed on rear-wheel drive cars);
- two-shaft (often used for equipping front-wheel drive cars).
- high efficiency;
- compact sizes and small weight;
- reliability in operation.