AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / FORD / Smoke in engine bay

Back to topics

Smoke in engine bay
FORD Focus II Hatchback (DA_, HCP, DP)

• @user_2207783 Feb 02, 2024
    About a month ago I bought a diesel 1.6tdci focus with 145k on the clock. I understand that’s a lot however on a diesel I think it’s more acceptable.
    Paid £1100 for a car with no service history and bought off an estate.
    However since then there have been non stop problems. Most are general easy fixes however recently smoke appears in the engine bay.
    A few weeks ago I left the oil dipstick open and oil went everywhere (this was saveable and after a cleanup and alternator change as it broke the motor was fine).
    However, recently twice now I have come to a stop after quicker (not fast) driving to smell smoke and upon opening the bonnet, seeing Grey oil smelling smoke coming from the turbo heatshield. The performance of the car is fine and no smoke of any colour comes from the exhaust.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what this may be? I don’t think it’s residual from the spill – I’ve cleaned everything as best I can and driven the car about 400 miles since in all sorts of conditions.
    Seems to be it may be after a rag and then stopping shortly afterwards that the smoke starts. 
    I just don’t want it to keep happening incase of a fire – any help would be appreciated.

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Scollwas Feb 05, 2024
    Hi, there may be an oil leak somewhere and it is getting to the turbo, you need to inspect the engine thoroughly and fix any leaks
    • @user_2207783 @Scollwas Feb 05, 2024
      It may be that yes. 
      Despite our best cleaning efforts, however, the engine did lose all roughly 4 litres of oil on the spill, which came out of the dipstick and therefore coated the engine bay.
      Not sure if it may be that despite best cleaning efforts.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon