AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / FORD / Error Codes P042E & P0405

Back to topics

Error Codes P042E & P0405
FORD C-Max II (DXA/CB7, DXA/CEU)

• FORD TRANSIT MK-7 Box 2.2 TDCi
    @user_1920918 Oct 09, 2023

Hi folks – I have a 2011 C Max – 1.6TDCi 70kw/95PS. Last year I got an error Code P0299 (Turbo Underboost). WE set out to test everything that could cause this and, after process of elimination, discovered it was the usual culprit, the EGR valve. I bought a new one, cleaned the system as much as i could and installed the new valve. No more P0299 code. However, when we installed it as soon as we connected the power to it it started making a clicking sound which, I am assuming is the valve trying to open and close. After 40-60 seconds the clicking stopped. I took the car for a run and got the engine management light and the orange Info light come on. Then the warning about engine malfunction notice came on. The codes that we found on the reader, and Forscan, are P0405:00-26 and P042E:00-A8

I do not understand (I am not a very technical savvy person) how a new EGR valve can create these codes.

It was suggested to me that I drain the ECU memory and allow the car to relearn. So, I disconnected the negative lead from the battery but left it grounded and connected a cable from the positive cable to the negative to drain the memory. I left it like this for over 24 hours. I reconnected everything and as soon as i connected the battery the clicking sound started straight away. I drove the car and immediately the engine management light and Info lights came on. The same codes appear on the code reader and Forscan.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or guidance if any of you guys have any. Regards Paul

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Therrown Oct 10, 2023
    Based on the description I think that you need to adapt the EGR valve by using the diagnostic equipment. It could be initially defective or simply does not fit your car.
      @user_1920918 @Therrown Oct 12, 2023
      Thank you for your response. The new EGR valve is exactly the same as the old one. It came from Autodoc and we confirmed it was the same. Of course, it could be defective but I dont know how to determine this. 
      Could you explain to me how I can adapt the new EGR valve (assuming it isnt defective)? 
      Many thanks in advance.
    • @Therrown @user_1920918 Oct 12, 2023

Adaptation must be done by using diagnostic equipment. Not all universal diagnostic devices can do this; it is better to contact a specialized service for this, since buying equipment will be much more expensive.

@user_1920918 @Therrown Oct 13, 2023
      Ah, okay. Thanks for the information.
  • @user_1932432 Oct 14, 2023
    If your vehicle has recorded the code P042E, this means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected a problem with the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve control system.In the case of P042E, it appears that the valve (to the PCM) is stuck in the open position. Fault code P0405 indicates that the readings coming from the position sensor of the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve are incorrect. In the case of this code, the voltage level coming from the sensor is lower than it should be so you must opt for a thorough diagnostic. 
      @user_1920918 @user_1932432 Oct 17, 2023
      Okay. Thank you for this. This seams strange though given that the EGR valve is a brand new valve. 
  • @user_1932432 Oct 21, 2023

In
    addition to what I have mentioned, this P042E code can mean that one
    or more of the following problems have occurred:

–Short circuit to earth.

–Wiring problem or damaged connector.

–Corrosion of electrical wiring or connections.

– Clogged exhaust gas recirculation valve ducts.
    – Defective electronic differential pressure feedback (DPFE) sensor.
    – Defective exhaust gas recirculation valve position sensor or inlet manifold absolute air pressure sensor.
    – Excessive contamination which prevents the valve (EGR) from moving freely.
    – Defective EGR system.

@user_1920918 @user_1932432 Oct 21, 2023
      Wow, thats a lot to look at. Thanks for your response.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon