AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / FORD / Diesel complete loss of power when accelerating

Back to topics

Diesel complete loss of power when accelerating
FORD FUSION (JU_)

• FORD FUSION (JU_) 1.6 TDCi
    @user_1866444 Sep 15, 2023
    Hi – any advice would be really appreciated. My diesel TDI Fusion has been a great little reliable car. It has had two problems in the last couple of weeks and I assume they are linked (but they might not be!)
    1. Twice the car would not start at all – new battery, turning over beautifully. Suspected air in fuel. Changed fuel filter. Primed engine. Finally fired and ran. Did it again a second time which was strange.
    2. When accelerating hard (and possibly when engine is cold) the engine has several times had a hickup (a loss of power) and last week, it just stopped completely. Instantly – engine warning lights came on . Just left me with no power. Tried to start, wouldn’t as I rolled along, tried to bump it, nothing , then I turned the key and it started. And ran perfectly well for the rest of the day!)
    I have looked every where for leeks in the fuel to see if air is getting in. I ran my little scanner and no errors. My neighbour ran his decent OBD scanner and still no errors.
    I described it to my mechanic this afternoon and even he wasn’t sure where to start! Anyone got any advice? It’s just so strange that it is running perfectly in between. Can’t be running a car that suddenly loses power though, especially as my son drives this car!!

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Pabod1976 Sep 15, 2023
    Hello. You should contact a good car service center, the fault is not trivial, there may be something wrong with the electrics, but it could also be the high pressure fuel pump
      @user_1866444 @Pabod1976 Sep 19, 2023
      Thanks for the response. I have spent some time with the scanner again and after clearing all of the faults. I drove it for a short time and it came up with crankshaft position sensor. It also wasn’t recording the speed which points to this as well I think.
      I will get a pro to sort it but at least I can direct them somewhere!
    @user_1866444 Sep 16, 2023
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I will do that.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon