AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / FORD / Smoke coming from the back of engine – Mondeo

Back to topics

Smoke coming from the back of engine – Mondeo
FORD Mondeo V Saloon (CD)

• FORD Mondeo V Saloon (CD) 2.0 TDCi Bi-Turbo
    @user_1948576 Oct 21, 2023
     Ford Mondeo 2015 2.0TDCi Bi-Turbo Smoke Problem – Need Help!
    Hello fellow car enthusiasts,
    I’m reaching out with the hopes that someone here can help me diagnose an issue with my Ford Mondeo from 2015 (2.0TDCi Bi-Turbo model) which has around 46,000 miles on it.
    **Problem Description:** 
    The first instance was a few weeks ago after a short 15-mile drive, the car started emitting smoke that smelled akin to burnt diesel or exhaust. What’s concerning is that the smoke was coming into the cabin and was quite irritating. I immediately pulled over and switched off the engine, and called the AA. They did a quick check but couldn’t spot anything. They asked me to drive back, following me, to see if the issue repeated. It didn’t. A couple of weeks later, the issue occurred again after about 15 minutes of driving.
    Thinking it was time for a service, I booked it for the 8 Years/72000 Miles Service at an authorized Ford garage, and also had the gearbox oil and filter replaced. I informed them about the smoke issue. To my surprise, they informed me today that they found no issues and everything was alright. However, while driving home from the garage (just a 20-minute drive), the smoke problem resurfaced and this time, the Engine Malfunction Light (EML) also came on. Even after turning the car off and on again, the EML remains illuminated. Now, the smoke seems to appear even during shorter drives, like a 10-minute trip to the local shop.
    **Current Status:**
    I have already contacted the dealer about this issue and am waiting for their response on Monday. I’m worried about misdiagnoses, given that online forums suggest numerous potential problems for similar symptoms over the last decade.
    **Request:**
    Has anyone encountered this or a similar issue before? Any insight into potential diagnostics or fixes would be immensely appreciated. While I’m not an expert on car mechanics, I’m eager to understand and resolve the issue. Also, do you think the EML being on will aid in pinpointing the problem?
    Thank you for your time and expertise!

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• FORD Mondeo V Saloon (CD) 2.0 TDCi Bi-Turbo
    @user_1948576 Oct 21, 2023
    Just linking this post to the Reddit post as well, where I posted the actual video https://www.reddit.com/r/FordMondeo/comments/17d9i79/smoke_coming_from_back_of_engine_after_short/
  • @Whome1983 Oct 23, 2023
    Hello, of course, a test lamp will help determine the problem, but most likely your particulate filter is clogged, it needs to be either cleaned or changed. But in any case, it’s better to contact a service center to avoid misdiagnosis

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon