Back to topics

Overheating issue
FORD Fiesta Mk5 Hatchback (JH1, JD1, JH3, JD3)

• @user_1996024 Nov 11, 2023

Hi all,
    I just changed my fiesta’s thermostat (and coolant in the process) as the car was not heating up correctly. I found that someone has previously removed the thermostat and there was no thermostat to replace. Nonetheless, I added the new thermostat. Nothing else was changed about the car.
    After about 20 minutes of driving, the engine overheating warning light came on. I subsequently turned off the car before, letting it cool down before returning home.
    Please could you advice why the engine may have started overheating and what action to take to fix the car ( I am keen to fix it myself)? Any help would be massively appreciated. Prior to adding the thermostat, I had no overheating issues.
    (Note: The water pump was changed about 6 months ago. The temperature gauge appeared to move quite quickly, even decreasing in temperature by about 15 degree’s despite little change in driving speed – perhaps a sensor issue?. But why would that only become an issue after adding a thermostat. Also the internal car heater does not work, I plan on changing the heater control valve).

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Toorandre76 Nov 13, 2023
    Hi, most likely you did not deflate the system when installing the thermostat. Either you have a faulty sensor or the fan is not turning on, recheck everything and try to deflate the system.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon