AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / SKODA / Key getting stuck in ignition

Back to topics

Key getting stuck in ignition
SKODA OCTAVIA (1Z3)

• @Marknolan1 May 06, 2023

Hi everyone,

I understand this site is based mainly for users in UK I believe and I live in Australia but was hoping for some advice regardless.

I own a 2009 Skoda Octavia. In November 2022 I noticed my key was getting stuck in the ignition. It wasn’t every time I drove it but maybe every second time. The key gets stuck on accessories and won’t make the final turn to pull the key out. Sometimes I have been able to get the key out by starting the car multiple times, turning the streering wheel and key. Every time my car has been in park and the handbrake on. In November/December 2022 I was still driving the car with this problem as I ruled out solutions such as a dirty/worn key, keychain being too heavy, wd-40 on the key/in the ignition. When all of them suggestions failed my brother a heavy diesel mechanic replaced the ignition barrel. By then it was January 2023. It worked for a week and my key wasn’t getting stuck and then it started happening again. My brother looked and ordered another ignition barell and cylinder. That took over a month to arrive so this lead to mid February 2023. He fitted the part and again it didn’t work. In late February I contacted a ford/volkswagon/land rover/jaguar dealership (1.5 hours away) who have trained technicians and genuine Skoda parts. I couldn’t take it to a Skoda dealership as the closest one is 5 hours away (perks of living in rural Aus) It was booked to be dropped off on 16th March 2023 as this was there earliest availability. They ordered a genuine Skoda ignition lock and ignition cylinder. The part came on 1st May and my car was ready by 2nd May nearly 7 weeks after I dropped it off. I picked it up on Thursday 4th May 2023 and paid $1238.90 for the ignition lock and barrel + labour. I brought it home and got the key out. I went to work on Friday 5th May and the key was stuck. The battery is brand new replaced yesterday 5th May as they advised my battery was nearly dead and this could potentially cause ignition issues. This still did not fix the problem and my key was still stuck. I have had to manually lock my car with my key in the ignition several times as I can’t get the key out. I am calling the dealership on Monday to ask why it didn’t work and what they can do about it considering I paid for the repair and it’s still the same.

Any advice would be great and much appreciated. I haven’t been able to drive my car properly in 5 months and this is such a ridiculous situation.

Thank you in advance,

Mark.

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Poccour May 10, 2023
    Very strange, I think you should go to the service, let them check whether they have replaced everything correctly or not, and whether they have correctly diagnosed the malfunction. I’m leaning toward a faulty diagnosis. I have an assumption that optionally there is a malfunction in the selector switch position sensor or in the selector switch itself, for this reason, there is no way to get the key out. But this is my opinion, for a correct determination you need to check everything well diagnose.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon