AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / FORD / Ford Fiesta 2014 Battery Issue

Back to topics

Ford Fiesta 2014 Battery Issue
FORD Fiesta Mk6 Hatchback (JA8, JR8)

• @user_1423473 Feb 23, 2023
    Hi,
    I have a battery issue that has been driving me nuts for the last few years which I’m hoping you may be able to help with. 
    I have a Ford Fiesta 2014 1.0 EcoBoost with S/S battery but i have replaced the battery 3 times in the last 3 years due to the battery being killed presumably for sulphur build up with it being low charge.
    I have just replaced the battery again (65Ah EFB S/S) so I know the current battery is not an issue and after driving it and leaving for about an hour, voltage read at 12.6V (suggesting fully charged) but the next morning it would drop to about 12.2V (~60% charge) suggesting there is a drain on the battery. I read online, that for Fords I should keep the voltage above 12.4V to avoid sulphur build up.
    I also did a parasitic draw test (left it for an hour, locked with door on latch) and found it to have a constant 120mA draw (read online it should be below 50mA?) but pulling all fuses/relays one at a time didn’t seem to drop it any lower than this.
    Finally alternator seems to be charging battery at 14-15V when engine is running and is 12.6V charge when engine off so suggests alternator is OK.
    Before COVID I always had an issue as battery would die if I left it for more than 5-6 days e.g when I went on holiday but as it was only a few times a year that it dided, I wasn’t too bothered by it but since COVID it has been more apparent whenever I don’t drive for a 4/5 days and is clear there is an issue as other cars in my family have no issue and drive similar or less than me (I do roughly 150 miles per week now).
    Is this something anyone is aware of on ford Fiesta and a common fault or anyone have any further suggestions as I’m kind of stuck as I know this battery will need replacing pretty soon if I don’t get it fixed.
    Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    David

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon