Back to topics

Car not charging
HYUNDAI i10 (IA)

• @user_2012379 Nov 18, 2023

Hi I have got a i10 on a 13 plate, and I did not drive it for 3 weeks so got in it to start it and it only just started, and I only drove it a short way and the red battery light stayed on.
    So the next day I charged the battery full and then went out in it and still had battery light on, then after about 5 miles the lights got dimmer and everything electric starting going including power steering, I just made it home, charged again and still battery light on.
    I can see the alternator and all the belts look fine can see one set of wires and they seem fine too.
    Please tell me there is a cheap fix for this as my finances are none existing.
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Shmed1972 Nov 20, 2023
    I think that the generator has failed. If possible measure the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running.
    And suppose that the simplest and cheapest option is to remove the generator, disassemble it and replace the brushes with the regulator and put it back together; if that doesn’t help, then replace the generator with a new one.
    • @user_2012379 @Shmed1972 Nov 21, 2023
      Thank you  👍 getting a friend of a friend to look at it soon I hope, can the bushes be changed with out removing the alternator ?
    • @Shmed1972 @user_2012379 Nov 21, 2023
      to replace the bushings without removing the alternator is not possible, you still have to remove the alternator.
    • @user_2012379 @Shmed1972 Nov 26, 2023
      Ok thankyou 😭
  • @ashwaganda Nov 20, 2023
    Hello everyone, I’m facing a challenge with my Hyundai i10 (13 plate) not charging properly. After not driving it for three weeks, it barely started, and even after a full battery charge, the red battery light remains on. Driving just 5 miles led to dimming lights and failing electric systems, including power steering. The alternator and belts seem fine, and the wires look intact. I’m in a tight spot financially, so any affordable solutions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    • @Lextre @ashwaganda Nov 21, 2023
      First, look at the condition of the wires that are connected to the generator, maybe the reason is simply that there is no contact or some wire has fallen off.
    • @user_2012379 @Lextre Nov 26, 2023
      Will check tomorrow after work, just had RAC come look at it and they said I need a new alternator and battery and have quoted me £485 😳 I am still in shock, the battery seems fine to me aways started apart from this with it not getting a charge from alternator 😭

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon