AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / HONDA / Revving by itself/ misfire and trouble starting

Back to topics

Revving by itself/ misfire and trouble starting
HONDA Jazz II Hatchback (GD_, GE3, GE2)

• @user_1858023 Sep 10, 2023
    Revving by itself/ misfires and trouble starting
    Hi could anyone please help me I have tried to fix this issue without resolve. My car is a Honda Jazz 2005 GD1 1.3 IDSI Petrol, which I got from a relative. The issues I am having with the car is that on startup the car revvs all the way up to 4k rpms by itself, and then drops to revving 2k rpms by itself. I have replaced the intake gasket and the MAP sensor, with the same fault happening. Check engine light is on. The car is getting quite hot both in the engine and on the inside, seems abnormal. 
    In addition, when I put the key in ignition to turn it on, the car fails to start. The only way it does start is if I put the key in and gas at same time. I noticed the mechanic put lubricant on one of the intake seals so could there be a reason for this? Also, I noticed that one of the coil packs were cracked. Could this create the symptoms I have listed above? 
    I have also noticed some other factors: sometimes if I remove the MAP sensor the revving goes back to only 1k RPMs, but it most definitely is not a faulty MAP sensor as its brand new. 
    I have the following diagnostic codes: P0113, P0108, P0444.
    Please if anyone could help it’d be appreciated.

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Disper Sep 11, 2023
    Well, the errors indicate the flow meter and the vapor ventilation valve of the fuel tank, as I understand it, it’s worth checking all this well, and checking not only the sensors and the valve, but also the wiring that goes to them, maybe there’s something wrong with the wiring.
    • @user_1858023 @Disper Oct 07, 2023
      Hi there, I had completely forgotten I made this thread and only just went through my emails to see the notification. Thank you for your response. I think you are on to something because just after I made the original thread, I opened the fuel cap and petrol squirted out (I think the car was running when this happended, OOPS. I don’t know if I should have done that). You know I have tried taking this to two mechanics who cannot seem to find the fault, I even tried posting on a few mobile mechanics sites but no one wants to give me a quote. The mechanic was baffled after spending 3 hours on the car as he couldn’t find the problem.
      Should petrol be squirting out of the fuel cap when it is opened with the car running? I looked underneath the car also and noticed that the wires going to the fuel have been exposed (You can see the inside of the wires). Is this a possible issue? Thanks so much.
      I have already bought a brand new MAP sensor and replaced the original. Same issue. 
    • @Disper @user_1858023 Oct 09, 2023
      The fact that you can see exposed wires is not very good. If possible, add a photo here so it would be easily visually understand. When you open the tank lid gasoline should not be thrown out to the outside, this could be due to the tank ventilation valve. Another one of the codes, if I’m not mistaken, shows Malfunction of the pressure sensor in the intake manifold.
      If during the start you need to press the gas pedal means that the fuel mixture collects in the manifold and cylinders; when you press the pedal, the cylinders are purged better. But why this happens is difficult to say exactly.
    • @user_1858023 @Disper Oct 10, 2023
      Thanks for getting back to me. I noticed some abnormalities which I do not understand. So, I unplugged the MAP sensor and the idle went back to normal (just under 1000rpm) yet this is a brand new MAP sensor so I doubt it’s faulty. And the car is getting very hot. I also noticed that the heater was not working this whole time, but today hot air was coming out of the vents.
      What I do notice is that the car is getting quite hot, both the underside, the engine and the exhaust. What could this mean? If I leave the MAP sensor on, the engine eventually cuts out. I hope you could provide me some guidance.
    • @Disper @user_1858023 Oct 10, 2023
      It seems to me that the fuel system still needs to be checked; perhaps there is not enough fuel pressure for correct mixture formation.
    • @user_1858023 @Disper Oct 10, 2023
      Yeah I agree, definitely needs to be checked. Could it be the Lambda sensor?
    • @user_1858023 @user_1858023 Oct 10, 2023
      Update: It took about 20 minutes of idling the car and revving to high rpms to get heat to come out of the heater. After turning off the car, it’s back to cold. So the heater is only working after revving the car for a good 15 minutes. This is so absurd.
    • @Disper @user_1858023 Oct 11, 2023
      A malfunctioning lambda probe would have given an engine error long ago and during diagnostics there would be error codes for the lambda probe.
  • @user_1858023 Oct 10, 2023
    When I floored the pedal, the car cut out one time or is about to stall. What could this mean? Along with the car not starting unless gas is touched, is there any correlation here?

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon