AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / HYUNDAI / REPLACING CYLINDER HEAD GASKET

Back to topics

REPLACING CYLINDER HEAD GASKET
HYUNDAI i40 CW (VF)

• HYUNDAI i40 CW (VF) 1.7 CRDi
    @user_332183 Sep 29, 2023

I have recently purchased a 2015 i40 with less than 60k miles on it. I have a cooling problem which I strongly suspect is a blown head gasket. If I take the radiator cap off, even when starting from cold, the coolant froths and blows out. It also pushes coolant back into the plastic tank.
    It will overheat after a few miles driving. I would add that the car drives perfectly and the only indication of a problem is the temperature gauge There is no sign of water in the oil or oil in the water but I suspect there must be a compression leak into the cooling system causing the pressure.
    Can anyone confirm my diagnosis? If, as I suspect, the head gasket has to be replaced is there anywhere I can get detailed instructions? I need to know torque settings and if the head bolts require changing. Are there any pitfalls for the unwary? I have searched you tube for a video but I have not found one relating to this engine.

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Torat1976 Sep 29, 2023
     I would recommend that you contact a service center to check the cooling system using special tools. I would also advise you to have the cylinder head gasket replaced by a mechanic, without having enough experience it will be very difficult and dangerous.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon