AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / VW / flashing glow plug light VW Golf VI Hatchback 1.9 TDI Diesel 2009 – what to do?

Back to topics

flashing glow plug light VW Golf VI Hatchback 1.9 TDI Diesel 2009 – what to do?
VW GOLF VI (5K1)

• @Tram1980 Apr 06, 2021

Today I was driving my VW Golf Mk6 1.9 TDI Bluemotion on the motorway with cruise control set to 60mph in 5th gear when I suddenly heard a ding, along with the message Engine Fault: Workshop! and a flashing glow plug light.

The cruise control stopped working and the limp mode was activated. I got off the motorway at the next exit, which thankfully was where I have headed anyway, and didn’t have any power/turbo for the last 5 minutes to my destination. The stop-start function wasn’t available either.

When I parked I turned the engine off and on again and the light didn’t come back on. I did a quick turn around the car park and the turbo and cruise control were both working again.

As you can imagine, I’m still worried about why this happened and if it could happen again. Does anyone have any experience of a flashing glow plug light on a VW followed by a sudden loss of power? I know I need to have diagnostics run on it but wanted to ask here first to see if anyone has any ideas about it.

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Coltoldest47 Apr 09, 2021

Like you said yourself, you need to run diagnostics because there’s a number of things that could be the issue here. Once you have the fault code I’m sure someone here will be able to give you some advice.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon