When to replace the Thermostat on your BMW 3 SERIES
Recommended replacement interval for the part category Engine thermostat : 50000 km
Important!
This replacement procedure can be used for:
BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 316 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 316 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 318 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 318 is, BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 320 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 325 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 328 i View more

The steps may slightly vary depending on the car design.

How to change engine thermostat on BMW E36 [TUTORIAL AUTODOC]

video
All the parts you need to replace – Thermostat for 3 Saloon (E36) and other BMW models
How to change Engine thermostat on E36 320 i – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair Engine thermostat
How to change Thermostat Housing on E36 320 i – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair Thermostat Housing
How to change Thermostat, coolant on E36 320 i – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair Thermostat, coolant
Tools
Replacement: engine thermostat – BMW E36. AUTODOC recommends:
All-purpose cleaning spray
Sealant
Torque wrench
Drive socket # 7
Drive socket # 10
Drive socket # 13
Ratchet wrench
Clip removal tool
Seal scraper
Flat screwdriver
Funnel
Fluid container
Fender cover
Replacement: engine thermostat – BMW E36. Tip from AUTODOC:
  • Check the condition of the coolant every time you replace the thermostat. Change the coolant if necessary.
  • Please note: all work on the car – BMW E36 – should be done with the engine switched off.
Carry out replacement in the following order:
  1. Step 1
    How to change Thermostat on E36 1990 - free PDF and video manuals
    Open the hood.
  2. Step 2
    How to replace BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 320 i 1991 Thermostat - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Use a fender protection cover to prevent damaging paintwork and plastic parts of the car.
  3. Step 3
    Remove the fasteners of the air duct housing. Use a clip removal tool.
    Step 4
    E36 325 tds 1992 Thermostat replacement: free workshop manuals
    Remove the air distribution housing assembly.
  4. Step 5
    Changing Thermostat on BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 316 i 1993 by yourself
    Unscrew the coolant reservoir cap.
  5. Step 6
    How to remove BMW 3 SERIES 318 i 1994 Thermostat - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Prepare a container for fluids.
  6. Step 7
    How to replace Thermostat on BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 1995: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Open the coolant drain tap.
  7. Step 8
    How hard is it to do yourself: Thermostat replacement on E36 323 i 1996 - download illustrated guide
    Drain the coolant from the engine.
    Replacement: engine thermostat – BMW E36. AUTODOC experts recommend:
    Caution! The coolant can be very hot.Wear gloves to prevent contact with hot liquid.All work should be done with the engine stopped.Wait until the coolant has completely flowed out of the drain hole.
  8. Step 9
    Need to know how to renew Thermostat on BMW 3 SERIES 1997? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Close the coolant drain tap.
  9. Step 10
    Changing of Thermostat on E36 1998 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Loosen the clamps of the coolant hoses. Use a drive socket #7. Use a ratchet wrench.
  10. Step 11
    BMW 3 SERIES 325td 2.5 Thermostat replacement: online guides and video tutorials
    Detach the coolant hose.
  11. Step 12
    Replacing Thermostat on E36 1991 320 i by yourself
    Loosen the coolant hose clamp. Use a drive socket #7. Use a ratchet wrench.
  12. Step 13
    3 Saloon (E36) 318 i 1992 Thermostat DIY replacement workshop manual
    Detach the coolant hose.
  13. Step 14
    How to change Thermostat on BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 1993 - tips and tricks
    Detach the coolant pipe bracket. Use a drive socket #13. Use a ratchet wrench.
  14. Step 15
    Step-by-step recommendations for DIY replacement E36 1994 318 i Thermostat
    Unscrew the thermostat housing fasteners. Use a drive socket #10. Use a ratchet wrench.
  15. Step 16
    DIY replacement of Thermostat on BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 325 i 1995 is not an issue anymore with our step-by-step tutorial
    Clean the thermostat housing fasteners. Use all-purpose cleaning spray.
  16. Step 17
    How to change Thermostat on E36 1990 - free PDF and video manuals
    Unscrew the thermostat housing fasteners. Use a drive socket #10. Use a ratchet wrench.
  17. Step 18
    How to replace BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 320 i 1991 Thermostat - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Remove the thermostat housing.
    AUTODOC recommends:
    Replacement: engine thermostat – BMW E36. To avoid damaging the part when removing it, do not use excessive force.Caution! Coolant may leak out of the coolant lines and thermostat housing.
  18. Step 19
    E36 325 tds 1992 Thermostat replacement: free workshop manuals
    Remove the thermostat.
  19. Step 20
    Changing Thermostat on BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 316 i 1993 by yourself
    Clean the thermostat housing mounting seat. Use a flat screwdriver. Use a seal scraper. Use all-purpose cleaning spray.
  20. Step 21
    How to remove BMW 3 SERIES 318 i 1994 Thermostat - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Install a new thermostat.
  21. Step 22
    How to replace Thermostat on BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 1995: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Treat the thermostat housing mounting seat. Use a sealant.
  22. Step 23
    How hard is it to do yourself: Thermostat replacement on E36 323 i 1996 - download illustrated guide
    Install the new thermostat housing.
    AUTODOC recommends:
    Replacement: engine thermostat – BMW E36. Do not use excessive force during installation. This may damage the part.
  23. Step 24
    Need to know how to renew Thermostat on BMW 3 SERIES 1997? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Tighten the thermostat housing fasteners. Use a drive socket #10. Use a torque wrench. Tighten it to 7 nm torque.
  24. Step 25
    Changing of Thermostat on E36 1998 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Attach the coolant pipe bracket. Use a drive socket #13. Use a torque wrench. Tighten it to 11 nm torque.
Was this manual helpful?
Please rate this manual on a scale from 1 to 5. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.
Users voted – 1
Your profile is your personal assistant.

It can track car expenses, keep a car log and replacement schedule, and save favourite materials, notes and documents

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!
Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.
BMW 3 Saloon (E36) Thermostat replace by yourself - Scan QR-code and download AUTODOC CLUB app
Scan

To download the app:

• - scan the QR code
  • - download from App Store
  • - download from Google Play
DIY BMW 3 Saloon (E36) Thermostat replacement - online guide
Tips & tricks for your BMW 3 Saloon (E36)
View more
  • How to change Coolant thermostat on BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 325 i - replacement tricks
    TOP 6 WD-40 lifehacks | AUTODOC tips
  • Changing Coolant thermostat E36 320 i - Replacement Tips
    How to replace the suspension on a BMW E30 Turbo | SUPERCAR AUTODOC
  • Maintenance Hacks - BMW 3 Saloon (E36) 325 tds Coolant thermostat replacement guide
    3 things that cause engine damage | AUTODOC tips
  • Replace Coolant thermostat on E36 - free video tips
    Top 5 mistakes when working in the engine bay | AUTODOC tips