AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / TOYOTA / Toyota Corolla Hybrid Estate Security Indicator (and car won’t start)

Back to topics

Toyota Corolla Hybrid Estate Security Indicator (and car won’t start)
TOYOTA Corolla XII Estate (E210)

• @user_1970235 Oct 31, 2023
    Hi,
    I own a 2019 Toyota Corolla Touring Sports Estate.  I’m currently out of the country and my parents have been taking the car round the block each week to keep the engine turning over.  They’ve been doing this once a week for around two months.  
    This weekend, they were unable to get into the car using the key fob and had to use the manual key.  They couldn’t start the car and the dashboard was showing the “security indicator” light.  Toyota’s website says that this light indicates “This warning light flashes after the key has been removed from the engine switch to indicate that the system is operating. The light stops flashing after the registered key has been inserted into the engine switch to indicate that the system has been cancelled.”

My parents have subsequently been unable to start the car and are convinced there’s a battery issue, which just seems unlikely given the short number of trips… we don’t currently have breakdown cover so will likely need to stump up for a call out.  

Does anyone have any pointers?  

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Cestruch Oct 31, 2023
    I think that it might be the battery, since at short distances it could not be fully charged, or the battery in the key ran out. That is what I could assume. 
    • @user_1970235 @Cestruch Oct 31, 2023
      Thanks.  The battery in the key (and the spare) is brand new and they’ve tried changing those to be on the safe side.  Would the car battery wear down after just a handful of short trips?
    • @Cestruch @user_1970235 Oct 31, 2023
      Yes, I think that a car battery will wear out after a few short
      trips, not significantly, but there will be.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon