AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / FORD / Steering Pump Belt

Back to topics

Steering Pump Belt
FORD KA (RB_)

• FORD KA (RB_) 1.3 i
    @Chippy Feb 07, 2021
    Hi 
    I’m new to this or come to that any type of forum and trying to save a few pounds to keep the old Ford KA on the road for a while longer.  I’m not particularly car savvy and so bear with me.
    My car started whining when turning left, but then I noticed this more so when stuck in traffic and SLOWLY moving forward.  The problem is not apparent when running idle or revving the engine.  My neighbour who is car savvy but can’t help too much at the moment due to illness suggested it was probably the steering pump belt that needs replacing and I should be able to do it.
    Since I’ve looked at many tutorials but can’t find any specific to the KA.  What I’ve observed is I can obtain a PAS pump but not the belt itself.  Perhaps this comes with a new pump.  If it does the description of what you get with a pump is not very clear on any of the websites I’ve looked at.  Maybe it’s not known as a steering pump belt?  Also, my car has air conditioning, if this helps.
    It would be useful to know the answer to theses questions although not so critical now as I’ve decided the first thing I’m going to do is change the steering fluid as what’s in there is jet black and horrible .  I’ve removed the majority of what I can with a turkey bastor and by moving the steering lock back and forth to extract more fluid.  I’m not planning to do a complete fluid change as too complicated and I don’t have the tools.  Then once I’ve run in for a couple of miles change the fluid again using the same method which should extract the majority of the fluid.  I’ll ensure I get the air out by moving steering lock back an forth and top up fluid slowly.
    This will probably seem a bit long winded for all you hardened mechanics but I simply don’t have the knowledge or tools to go any further.  My limit to date is changing an exhaust silencer and two headlight assemblies on this vehicle which went well.
    I’m hoping my neighbour is wrong and that partially changing the steering fluid over a couple of changes will resolve the problem as it DEFINITELY needs doing.
    Anyway thanks in advance for your assistance and any other advice and information which is not too technical would be appreciated.  What I have learned due to lack of space under the bonnet is you need hands of a baby to do anything, which sadly I don’t have, and you have to remove multiple parts before reaching the part in question.
    Keep safe.
    Kind regards
    Paul 

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon