AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / PEUGEOT / Peugeot 206 1.4i 2001 Misfire / Chug chug chug chug from exhaust…. slight rough idle.

Back to topics

Peugeot 206 1.4i 2001 Misfire / Chug chug chug chug from exhaust…. slight rough idle.
PEUGEOT 206 Hatchback (2A/C)

• @user_1991494 Nov 09, 2023
    Right…. so where do I begin…… call me a professional amateur mechanic with no prior experience.
    I have no official qualifications however I love to learn, so let me give you the story and hopefully someone can suggest something for me.
    Early in 2022 whilst driving on the M25, my radiator opened a crack like a rift in the space time continium and I had no service with AA or RAC etc and was stranded 45miles from home. The leak was from a crack in the radiator and my STOP warning light was flashing on my dashboard, so I pulled in at the nearest service station where I searched the local shops for anything that might help. I noticed the leak would stop once I replaced the cover on the fill port for the rad. So after about an hour of ‘cooldown’ i filled it up as quick as I could replaced the fill port cover and drove the 45 miles home at no greater than 50mph…. the result.. was a blown head gasket but i did get home.
    Within the next few weeks I started reading, learning and buying tools and I successfully replaced the head gasket and radiator myself and continued to use the car (without issue) until early 2023 when I started getting serious misfires, engine overheating, engine warning light and a constant P0200 and P0300 on the ODBII.
    Miraculously it passed the MOT without the check engine light but with a private note from the tester to me that the emissions were high but enough to pass.
    From here on I studied and learnt more about this Peugot 206 1.4i 2001 and bought more tools and really got to grips with the engine.
    To date I have personally (not in this order):
    Replaced the Radiator
    Replaced the entire exhaust.
    Replaced the CAT with a new Euro 4 equivalent (this was because the previous owner welded an O2 sensor to it which had failed)
    Replaced both O2 sensors.
    Replaced the MAP sensor.
    Replaced the Knock sensor (this was the cause of the P0200 open ignition circuit).
    Replaced the Fuel injectors.
    Replaced the Sparks.
    Replaced the Coil pack.
    Replaced the Crank shaft sensor.
    Replaced the Idle control sensor.
    Replaced the Trottle position sensor.
    Replaced the Fuel filter.
    Replaced a few bad engine wiring connectors (knock sensor, ignition coil, etc)
    Replaced coolant housing / thermostatic valve.
    Performed a continuity check on the entire wiring harness in the engine.
    Performed the relevant resistance checks on the relevant components.
    Performed an ignition compression test on each cylinder (all approx 170psi)
    Replaced the head gasket again (for good measure).
    Replaced valve stem seals
    De-carboned and lapped the engine valves ensuring good seals when closed.
    Re-timed the engine (according to the manual) – belt and valve clearances.
    Planed the head cylinder and used a feeler gauge to ensure it is within tolerance. (there were low spots)
    Performed a battery condition test (all OK).
    Replaced a broken crankcase breather tube (my fault this one) This is a non-original part.
    Checked the piston positions when the engine is manually rotated – all good.
    As a result of all of this work, the P0200 and the P0300 faults are no longer registering, however the engine is rough at idle until about 2000rpm with a ‘chug chug chug’ out of the exhaust instead of smooth combustion which it had before, it gets seriously hot very quickly.
    I have the below things on my list to do / check still but I would like some help with suggestions.
    Smoke vacum leak test (but cannot hear any hissing so have not done this).
    Replace the entire crankcase breather tubes.
    Locate and replace the PCV valve (I am not sure this car has one) or at least I can’t find a reference to one.
    Drain and replace the oil again along with the filter.
    Please dont suggest to take it to a mechanic or get professional help, this is a project for me, I want to learn for nothing more than….well… wanting to learn.
    I have not takent the ECU in to be checked as the error codes are gone and the unit is moisture sealed.
    I welcome any thoughts and suggestions.

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon