AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / VW / Golf Mk5 Complete Suspension Overhaul Difficulty?

Back to topics

Golf Mk5 Complete Suspension Overhaul Difficulty?
VW Golf V Hatchback (1K1)

• VW Golf V Hatchback (1K1) 1.4 16V
    @SyrC4 May 05, 2023
    Hello everyone,
    I recently picked up a project car (Mk 5 Golf 1k1) that I’ll later pass down to my sister who is doing her driver’s license soon and will need something to practice on (plus I need something to kill boredom with) and the front suspension is in dire need of an overhaul. How difficult is it, what special tools will I need, and how doable is it for a student with… fair amounts of working-on-stuff knowledge but who has never done anything suspension-related?
    e.i. everything in the wheel arch including, callipers, rotor, bearing, knuckle, shocks, springs, lower control arm, etc. needs to get replaced as the rust is so bad it’s preventing me from being able to work on it… too many rusted and hence rounded bolts and screws. It was used in rough conditions so it’s kinda expected though…
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    e.

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Anna Johnson May 10, 2023
    AUTODOC expert
    You can read the recommendations on the repair and maintenance of Mk 5 Golf 1k1 on our youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/@autodocuk/search?query=%20VW%20GOLF%205%20(1K1)

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon