AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / RENAULT / Erratic idle on cold engine start

Back to topics

Erratic idle on cold engine start
RENAULT MEGANE III Coupe (DZ0/1_)

• RENAULT MEGANE III Coupe (DZ0/1_) 1.6 16V (DZ0U, DZ1B, DZ1H)
    @user_929607 Apr 19, 2022
    Sorry for the long post but it needs some amount of explanation.
    A problem started to occur just recently, when trying to start an engine when completely cool. 
    Here’s some backstory; 
    I was trying to clean the throttle body with MAF sensor cleaner, q-tips and some rags. With ignition on but engine not running, an assistant was pressing down on the gas pedal, keeping the butterfly valve flaps open, while I was poking around in there, trying to get as much crud and sediment out of there as possible.
     What I forgot is that I was taking way too long and the ignition current of course cut off after a certain period of time, abruptly closing the throttle flaps, with my finger in the way of its programed cycle. I’m guessing I messed with the calibration?
    Beforehand I already replaced the spark plugs, oil filter and oil, air and cabin filter, brake fluid and filter the battery. I also cleaned the MAP sensor and the dephaser solenoid with that same cleaner. All was good, up until I messed it up with the throttle body, which leads me to believe that is the main culprit to consider. 
    What I cant explain is why the engine starts and idles stable at around 750-800rpm when warm. It only goes to 2000 for a second, goes down and jumps all over the place, coughs and shakes when cold. 
    Any ideas and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

@user_929607 Apr 19, 2022
    some specifics: 
    build year 2010 1.6 16V K4M R8 engine 81kW petrol fuel
    cheers
    @user_929607 Apr 20, 2022
    Anything? not a lot of activity on this forum is it?🤷‍♂️
  • @Mrseach Apr 29, 2022
    You miscalibrated the electric throttle when you put your finger in there, there is a sprocket inside, maybe it turned one tooth, you need a master who can open it and make repairs, otherwise, you need a new throttle.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon