AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / BMW / Does my BMW 5 E61 530 xd Diesel 2006 have swirl flaps?

Back to topics

Does my BMW 5 E61 530 xd Diesel 2006 have swirl flaps?
BMW 5 Touring (E61)

• @Timenot Apr 02, 2021

Hey, I’m trying to figure out does my BMW has swirl flaps and can’t find any information on this. A mate told me they should be removed but he doesn’t know for sure if newer models come with them. Mine is a 2006 E61 5 Series 530xd diesel. Does anyone know?

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Arromed Apr 06, 2021

You might be able to see if it has swirl flaps on Realoem. Put in the last 7 digits of your VIN and click through to the inlet manifold. I have a 525d with a 3.0 engine and it hasn’t got swirl flaps but as far as I know the 530d from the same time (2007) did – someone else might know for sure. But even if your car did have them originally they might have been removed at some point.

• @ Tinswas Apr 06, 2021

It’s not the case that they should always be removed. Sure, the swirl flaps on the M47 and M57 engines had serious design flaws that ended up causing a lot of owners trouble, but BMW hasn’t been producing those engines any more for 10 years.

The intake manifold and the swirl flaps were redesigned completely in the N47 and N57 engines, as well as the later B47/B57 diesel ones, and there’s no more risk of them falling into the intake.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon