AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / BMW / drivetrain malfunction bmw 640d – any ideas?

Back to topics

drivetrain malfunction bmw 640d – any ideas?
BMW 6 Coupe (F13)

• @Ansinver Apr 06, 2021

Hi, I’ve had my 640D for slightly more than a year and haven’t had any issues at all so far but now the drivetrain malfunction warning light is coming on. Initially it came on when accelerating hard but didn’t make any difference to the acceleration or throttle response. A couple of weeks ago BMW carried out a full service and I asked them to check the warning.

They said the temperature sensor needed replacing and assured me that that would get rid of the problem. So I told them to go ahead and replace it. They got back to me saying it didn’t fix the issue and they’re not completely sure which part is causing the problem but they had a list of candidates and said the most likely was this specific pipe. They said it was blocked and recommended a replacement. I told them to go ahead and replace it but not the other possible parts because maybe changing the blocked pipe would fix the problem. It seemed like they had no idea really what was causing the problem and were going through a list of parts by a process of elimination. I assumed they’d just be able to diagnose the issue and sort it out.

Things seemed to be alright for a couple of weeks but now the drivetrain warning light is coming on again and now there’s a lack of power on acceleration and it takes a fair while to build up speed. It’s a real pain and I want to get it sorted but I need to have a good idea of what’s causing it before going back to the BMW dealership because they didn’t seem to be able to figure it out and just wanted to replace parts willy nilly.

In case it’s relevant, the EGR valve was recalled and swapped out a couple of months ago. The last service was a full one with filters and oil and all the usual changes.

Has anyone had a similar drivetrain malfunction on their BMW, and what was the underlying cause?

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Beelty99 Apr 08, 2021

The dealership mechanics usually aren’t very reliable. Do a search for independent garages that specialize in BMWs and they should sort you out for much cheaper. I don’t know what fault code it is but it might be something to do with the gearbox

• BMW X3 (F25) sDrive 28 i
    @user_1580092 May 04, 2023
    Hi I  have a 2013 x 3 BMW and my drivetrain malfunctioning light comes and go. Does anyone know the where the location of my camshaft sensor? Would be a great help if someone can send me a picture of the location. Thank you.
    • @Samet1980 @user_1580092 May 10, 2023
      If I’m not mistaken, the sensors are on the front of the cylinder head and there’s also an engine temperature sensor nearby.
  • @user_1540870 May 09, 2023

Free car check by vin

A drivetrain malfunction in a BMW 640d could be caused by various issues such as sensor failures, transmission problems, or engine-related issues. It is recommended to have the car diagnosed by a qualified BMW technician to pinpoint the exact cause and resolve the problem.
  • @user_1619297 May 20, 2023
    how to change the fog lights on a 640i bmw

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon