AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / KIA / Changing Gear Shifter Knob

Back to topics

Changing Gear Shifter Knob
KIA Sportage (QL, QLE)

• @user_1874721 Sep 19, 2023
    Hi,
    My manual gear shifter knob has seen better days and I’ve bought a replacement from Kia. They strangely won’t tell me how the knob is actually removed. The leather boot around the gear shifter is off, that part was easy enough.
    All videos online are for different models. I can see inside the new gear knob, and there aren’t any threads in there. So my suspicion is that it may pop off?
    But some help would be great. 
    Cheers

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Estion69 Sep 19, 2023
     In order to remove the gearshift knob on my car, I had to remove the cover and unscrew it counterclockwise; after needed to reassemble everything in the reverse order.
  • @user_1874721 Sep 20, 2023
    Found the solution eventually.
    This is for a Kia Sportage 2017 manual 6 speed.
    I got the leather boot cover off first, being very gentle.
    Then after looking at the new part (gear knob) i confirmed that this does not screw on and took a chance and pulled the gear knob.
    It eventually popped off quite cleanly.
    Then I check everything was aligned as there are little groves the reverse gear pull needs to be mounted into and I bumped the new gear knob back on. 
    All done 😉

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon