AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / SKODA / Changed spark plugs

Back to topics

Changed spark plugs
SKODA Fabia II Hatchback (542)

• @user_1365627 Jan 25, 2023
    I have recently changes the spark plugs, i started the engine and its making a ticking/knocking loud noise. I put the old plugs in to check it wasn’t the new ones and it’s still doing it. The problem only started when I changed the plugs any ideas please!. Thanks 

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @user_1396574 Feb 09, 2023
    The knock in the engine is inextricably linked with the operation of the crankshaft, which provides engine speed. Accordingly, the faster the crankshaft rotates, the more often a knock is heard in the motor. Depending on the mode of operation of the internal combustion engine, the sound may be louder or quieter. It is important to accurately establish the relationship between the increase in the number of revolutions of the internal combustion engine and the intensity of the sound. 
    During the diagnostic process, it is necessary to check at what point in the operation the engine knocks louder. It often happens that at a high temperature in the system (at the moment when the engine oil is the most liquid and increased in volume), the power plant knocks hard. In some cases, a knock is heard precisely when the engine is cold, and after warming up, the noise completely disappears or becomes almost imperceptible.

Hope it helps!

• @user_1631614 May 28, 2023
    If your spark plugs had the wrong length, they can be hit by the piston when it spins. I read that in another instruction. 
    Check this pic for motor see through to see how that can happen.
    Compare the old and new spark plug so they are the same length.
  • @user_1631614 May 29, 2023
    Another things that came to my mind:

If you accidently damaged the thread or the thread holder, then there might be a leak now, which might be the cause for the sound, coming out for each explosion, through the leaking threads. 

I remember from the manual of my touran, it mentioned to tighten the spark plug with fingers only at first to make sure it’s properly going into the thread holder, not the wrong angle. Then when sure it is ok, by finger screw it in to bottom. Lastly tighten it with the torque measuring  tool to the allowed max X NM according to the maker. For my other vw car it’s 8NM per spark plug maximum to not damage  the threads and cause a leak.
    A compression test would probably be useful to rule out any leaks. That tool is quite cheap, like $20 or £20 something.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon