AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / VW / Bump on offside, causing vibrating on nearside a year later…

Back to topics

Bump on offside, causing vibrating on nearside a year later…
VW SCIROCCO (137, 138)

• @user_2207256 Feb 02, 2024

Around a year ago I hit a curb pretty badly at quite a speed and buckled my offside alloy along with grazing the back alloy too. Subsequently I replaced the (1) buckled alloy, had my wheel alignment centred and replaced all 4 tyres with brand new ones – which are all balanced (this has been checked/confirmed by a few different garages).

However throughout the year since this happened, I’ve been suffering with a loud vibrating noise which comes on when i hit 60-70MPH – only from the front nearside wheel, which can be heard/felt from the passenger footwell. The noise is exaggerated when i turn my wheel to the left, where it begins to make a loud spinning/vibrating sound, almost as if the wheel isn’t running straight.

In the time that I’ve been facing this issue, I’ve taken it to about 3 different mechanics who all insist they cant find a single thing wrong with the car and that the suspension/wheelbase is “solid”.

As an experiment to see if it was related to the wheel, I swapped around the ‘dodgy’ wheel on the nearside with the offside rear wheel, however it made no effect to the noise at all and remained the exact same despite changing the wheel/tyre on that side.

Note, I have replaced the drive shaft completely along with the wheel bearings on both front wheels – which also had no effect to the noise coming from the front nearside.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this?

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon