Important!
This replacement procedure can be used for:
BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 520 i, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 525 tds, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 523 i, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 528 i, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 540 i, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 535 i, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 525 td, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 530 d, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) M5, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 535 i, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 520 i, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 520 d, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 525 d, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 520 i, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 530 d, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 525 i, BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 530 i View more

The steps may slightly vary depending on the car design.

How to change gas struts / tailgate struts on BMW 520i (E39) [TUTORIAL AUTODOC]

video
All the parts you need to replace – Tailgate Struts for 5 Saloon (E39) and other BMW models
How to change Tailgate strut on BMW E39 523 i – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Tailgate strut
How to change Gas Spring, rear windscreen on BMW E39 523 i – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Gas Spring, rear windscreen
How to change Electrical motor, tailgate on BMW E39 523 i – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Electrical motor, tailgate
Tools
Replacement: tailgate struts – BMW E39. List of the tools you'll need:
WD-40 spray
Flat Screwdriver
Replacement: tailgate struts – BMW E39. AUTODOC recommends:
  • Right and left gas struts of the boot lid should be replaced simultaneously.
  • The replacement procedure is identical for the right and left gas struts of the boot lid.
  • All work should be done with the engine stopped.
Replacement: tailgate struts – BMW E39. Recommended sequence of steps:
  1. Step 1
    How to change Tailgate Struts on BMW E39 1995 - free PDF and video manuals
    Open the boot lid.
  2. Step 2
    How to replace BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 523 i 1996 Tailgate Struts - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Release the circlip connecting the gas strut to the boot lid. Use a flat screwdriver.
  3. Step 3
    BMW E39 530d 3.0 1997 Tailgate Struts replacement: free workshop manuals
    Release the circlip connecting the gas strut to the car body. Use a flat screwdriver.
    Replacement: tailgate struts – BMW E39. Tip:
    To avoid any injuries, be sure to hold the boot lid while demounting the gas struts.
  4. Step 4
    Changing Tailgate Struts on BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 520 i 1998 by yourself
    Remove the boot lid gas strut.
  5. Step 5
    How to remove BMW 5 SERIES 525 tds 1999 Tailgate Struts - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Release the circlip connecting the gas strut to the boot lid. Use a flat screwdriver.
  6. Step 6
    How to replace Tailgate Struts on BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 2000: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Release the circlip connecting the gas strut to the car body. Use a flat screwdriver.
    Replacement: tailgate struts – BMW E39. Tip from AUTODOC experts:
    To avoid any injuries, be sure to hold the boot lid while demounting the gas struts.
  7. Step 7
    How hard is it to do yourself: Tailgate Struts replacement on BMW E39 525i 2.5 2001 - download illustrated guide
    Remove the boot lid gas strut.
  8. Step 8
    Need to know how to renew Tailgate Struts on BMW 5 SERIES 2002? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Clean the mounting seats of the boot strut. Use WD-40 spray.
  9. Step 9
    Changing of Tailgate Struts on BMW E39 2003 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Install the new boot lid gas strut.
    Replacement: tailgate struts – BMW E39. Tip from AUTODOC:
    To avoid any injuries, be sure to hold the boot lid while installing the gas strut.
Was this manual helpful?
Please rate this manual on a scale from 1 to 5. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.
Users voted – 0
Your profile is your personal assistant.

It can track car expenses, keep a car log and replacement schedule, and save favourite materials, notes and documents

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!
Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.
BMW 5 Saloon (E39) Tailgate Struts replace by yourself - Scan QR-code and download AUTODOC CLUB app
Scan

To download the app:

• - scan the QR code
  • - download from App Store
  • - download from Google Play
DIY BMW 5 Saloon (E39) Tailgate Struts replacement - online guide
Tips & tricks for your BMW 5 Saloon (E39)
View more
  • How to change Tailgate struts on BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 528 i - replacement tricks
    How to replace the suspension on a BMW E30 Turbo | SUPERCAR AUTODOC
  • Changing Boot gas struts BMW E39 523 i - Replacement Tips
    DIY starter repair | AUTODOC tips
  • Maintenance Hacks - BMW 5 Saloon (E39) 530d 3.0 Tailgate gas struts replacement guide
    How to prevent car windows from fogging up | AUTODOC tips
  • Replace Gas struts on BMW E39 - free video tips
    How to polish an old engine valve cover to a shiny finish | AUTODOC Tips