Important!
This replacement procedure can be used for:
BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 320 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 325 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 330 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 318 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 325 xi, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 330 xi, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 320 si, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 335 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 318 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 335 xi, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 325 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 325 xi, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 320 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 330 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 330 xi, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 316 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 323 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 316 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 335 i xDrive, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 325 i, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 325 i xDrive, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 330 i xDrive, BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 323 i View more

The steps may slightly vary depending on the car design.

This video shows the replacement procedure of a similar car part on another vehicle

All the parts you need to replace – Ignition Coil for 3 Saloon (E90) and other BMW models
How to change Ignition coil on BMW E90 320 d – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Ignition coil
How to change Ignition Coil Unit on BMW E90 320 d – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Ignition Coil Unit
How to change Puller, ignition coil unit on BMW E90 320 d – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Puller, ignition coil unit
Tools
Replacement: ignition coil – BMW 3 (E90). Tools you might need:
Electronic spray
High-temperature anti-seize lubricant
HEX bit no.H5.
Drive socket # 8
Ratchet wrench
Flat Screwdriver
Fender cover
Replacement: ignition coil – BMW 3 (E90). AUTODOC recommends:
  • The replacement procedure is the same for the ignition coils of all cylinders.
  • All work should be done with the engine stopped.
Replacement: ignition coil – BMW 3 (E90). Take the following steps:
  1. Step 1
    Open the hood.
    Step 2
    Use a fender protection cover to prevent damaging paintwork and plastic parts of the car.
    Step 3
    How to change Ignition Coil on BMW E90 2004 - free PDF and video manuals
    Unscrew the fasteners of the cabin filter housing cover. Use a drive socket #8. Use a ratchet wrench.
  2. Step 4
    How to replace BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 320 d 2005 Ignition Coil - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Remove the cabin filter housing cover.
    AUTODOC recommends:
    Replacement: ignition coil – BMW 3 (E90). Do not use excessive force when removing the part as this may damage it.
  3. Step 5
    BMW E90 320 i 2006 Ignition Coil replacement: free workshop manuals
    Remove the wiper arm covers.
  4. Step 6
    Changing Ignition Coil on BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 318 i 2007 by yourself
    Detach the connectors from the climate control sensors.
  5. Step 7
    Remove the climate control sensors.
    Step 8
    How to remove BMW 3 SERIES 325 i 2008 Ignition Coil - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Unscrew the fasteners of the lower part of the scuttle panel. Use a drive socket #8. Use a ratchet wrench.
  6. Step 9
    How to replace Ignition Coil on BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 2009: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Detach the cable duct from the upper part of the microfilter housing. Use a flat screwdriver.
  7. Step 10
    How hard is it to do yourself: Ignition Coil replacement on BMW E90 325d 3.0 2010 - download illustrated guide
    Remove the lower part of the scuttle panel.
  8. Step 11
    Need to know how to renew Ignition Coil on BMW 3 SERIES 2011? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Unscrew the engine cover fastener. Use HEX No.H5. Use a ratchet wrench.
  9. Step 12
    Changing of Ignition Coil on BMW E90 2004 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Remove the engine cover.
    Replacement: ignition coil – BMW 3 (E90). Tip:
    Do not apply excessive force when removing the part. Otherwise you may damage it.
  10. Step 13
    BMW 3 SERIES 320 i Ignition Coil replacement: online guides and video tutorials
    Detach the connector from the ignition coil.
  11. Step 14
    Replacing Ignition Coil on BMW E90 2006 320 d by yourself
    Treat the ignition coil connector with electronic spray. The spray will protect the electrical contacts from corrosion, oxidation, and will reduce the contact resistance.
  12. Step 15
    3 Saloon (E90) 325 i 2007 Ignition Coil DIY replacement workshop manual
    Take out the ignition coil from the spark plug well.
  13. Step 16
    How to change Ignition Coil on BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 2008 - tips and tricks
    Treat the ignition coil tips. Use high-temperature grease. Use a flat screwdriver.
  14. Step 17
    Step-by-step recommendations for DIY replacement BMW E90 2009 325 i Ignition Coil
    Install the new ignition coil to the spark plug well. Make sure you hear a click indicating that it is locked in place.
  15. Step 18
    DIY replacement of Ignition Coil on BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 318d 2.0 2010 is not an issue anymore with our step-by-step tutorial
    Plug in the ignition coil connector.
  16. Step 19
    How to change Ignition Coil on BMW E90 2004 - free PDF and video manuals
    Install the engine cover and secure it.
    Replacement: ignition coil – BMW 3 (E90). AUTODOC experts recommend:
    Make sure the engine cover is properly seated. It should not be displaced with respect to the guiding fasteners.Do not apply excessive force when installing the part. Otherwise you may damage the fasteners.
Was this manual helpful?
Please rate this manual on a scale from 1 to 5. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.
Users voted – 0
Your profile is your personal assistant.

It can track car expenses, keep a car log and replacement schedule, and save favourite materials, notes and documents

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!
Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.
BMW 3 Saloon (E90) Ignition Coil replace by yourself - Scan QR-code and download AUTODOC CLUB app
Scan

To download the app:

• - scan the QR code
  • - download from App Store
  • - download from Google Play
DIY BMW 3 Saloon (E90) Ignition Coil replacement - online guide
Tips & tricks for your BMW 3 Saloon (E90)
View more
  • How to change Coil pack on BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 318d 2.0 - replacement tricks
    How to remove rust | AUTODOC tips
  • Changing Ignition coil pack BMW E90 320 d - Replacement Tips
    5 Tips for New Drivers | AUTODOC tips
  • Maintenance Hacks - BMW 3 Saloon (E90) 320 i Ignition coils replacement guide
    5 common car washing mistakes | AUTODOC tips
  • Replace Coil packs on BMW E90 - free video tips
    Top 5 tips to prevent car rust | AUTODOC tips