AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / MERCEDES-BENZ / Wheels won’t turn but differential seems ok – Is it the clutch?

Back to topics

Wheels won’t turn but differential seems ok – Is it the clutch?
MERCEDES-BENZ SPRINTER 3,5-t Box (906)

• MERCEDES-BENZ SPRINTER 3,5-t Box (906) 311 CDI (906.631, 906.633, 906.635, 906.637)
    @user_1273581 Dec 04, 2022
    Really struggling with trying to work this one out. Started from the lights and suddenly lost power to the wheels and when clutch engaged there was a grinding noise at the rear of the van. Pick up guys said it was rear diff.
    On lifting the van, I can freely turn the wheels and it turns the diff no issues. and drive shaft turns. but when I put in gear, prop shaft turns, and the diff turns but nothing traveling to the rear wheels. When in neutral, the prop shaft turns for a short while and then disengages. When put into gear, the drive shaft turns, and the diff turns but nothing to the wheels.
    I suspect that the clutch has gone. I’ve seen inside the diff and it all turns ok and no issues between the pinion and the crown wheel. no signs of wear or damage. (I had bought a replacement unit but yet to fit) 
    What I can’t understand, is if the prop shaft and diff turns, then why nothing going to the wheels? and it doesn’t lock the wheels when put into gear and tried to push .. is it the clutch? the diff bearings or the half drive shafts to the wheels? Any advice really appreciated. 

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon