When to replace the Spark Plug on your VW PASSAT
Recommended replacement interval for the part category Spark plug : 30000 km
Important!
This replacement procedure can be used for:
VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) 1.6, VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) 1.6 View more

The steps may slightly vary depending on the car design.

This video shows the replacement procedure of a similar car part on another vehicle

All the parts you need to replace – Spark Plug for PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) and other VW models
Tools
Replacement: spark plugs – VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I). Tools you need:
Wire brush
WD-40 spray
Electronic spray
High-temperature anti-seize lubricant
Torque wrench
Drive socket # 10
Spark plug socket # 16
Ratchet wrench
Fender cover
Replacement: spark plugs – VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I). AUTODOC experts recommend:
  • The replacement procedure is the same for all spark plugs.
  • Please note: all work on the car – VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) – should be done with the engine switched off.
Carry out replacement in the following order:
  1. Step 1
    Open the hood.
    Step 2
    Use a fender protection cover to prevent damaging paintwork and plastic parts of the car.
    Step 3
    How to change Spark Plug on Passat 3a5 1988 - free PDF and video manuals
    Detach the connector from the ignition coil.
  2. Step 4
    How to replace VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) 1.8 1989 Spark Plug - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Clean the ignition coil bolts. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
  3. Step 5
    Passat 3a5 2.0 1990 Spark Plug replacement: free workshop manuals
    Unscrew the ignition coil bolts. Use a drive socket #10. Use a ratchet wrench.
  4. Step 6
    Changing Spark Plug on VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) 2.8 VR6 1991 by yourself
    Remove the ignition coil.
  5. Step 7
    How to remove VW PASSAT 1.6 TD 1992 Spark Plug - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Clean dirt, dust and debris from inside the spark plug wells.
  6. Step 8
    How to replace Spark Plug on VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) 1993: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Unscrew the spark plugs. Use the spark plug socket #16. Use a ratchet wrench.
  7. Step 9
    How hard is it to do yourself: Spark Plug replacement on Passat 3a5 1.9 TD 1994 - download illustrated guide
    Take out the spark plugs.
  8. Step 10
    Need to know how to renew Spark Plug on VW PASSAT 1995? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Apply a thin layer of a special high temperature anti-seize lubricant to the threads of the new spark plugs.
  9. Step 11
    Changing of Spark Plug on Passat 3a5 1996 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Install the new spark plugs into their mounting seats.
Was this manual helpful?
Please rate this manual on a scale from 1 to 5. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.
Users voted – 0
Your profile is your personal assistant.

It can track car expenses, keep a car log and replacement schedule, and save favourite materials, notes and documents

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!
Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.
VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) Spark Plug replace by yourself - Scan QR-code and download AUTODOC CLUB app
Scan

To download the app:

• - scan the QR code
  • - download from App Store
  • - download from Google Play
DIY VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) Spark Plug replacement - online guide
Tips & tricks for your VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I)
View more
  • How to change Engine spark plug on VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) 1.9 TDI - replacement tricks
    What to do if the belt squeals | AUTODOC tips
  • Changing Spark plug Passat 3a5 1.8 - Replacement Tips
    DIY alternator repair | AUTODOC tips
  • Maintenance Hacks - VW PASSAT Variant (3A5, 35I) 2.0 Engine spark plugs replacement guide
    Important differences between car tools | AUTODOC tips
  • Replace Spark plug set on Passat 3a5 - free video tips
    What to do if the ABS light comes on | AUTODOC tips