Important!
This replacement procedure can be used for:
BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive 23 i, BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive 30 i, BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive 35 i, BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive 35 is View more

The steps may slightly vary depending on the car design.

This video shows the replacement procedure of a similar car part on another vehicle

All the parts you need to replace – Ignition Coil for Z4 Roadster (E89) and other BMW models
How to change Ignition coil on BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 23 i – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Ignition coil
How to change Cable Repair Set, glow plug on BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 23 i – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Cable Repair Set, glow plug
How to change Puller, ignition coil unit on BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 23 i – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Puller, ignition coil unit
Tools
Replacement: ignition coil – BMW Z4 (E89). Tools you might need:
Electronic spray
High-temperature anti-seize lubricant
HEX bit no.H5.
Drive socket # 8
Ratchet wrench
Flat Screwdriver
Fender cover
Replacement: ignition coil – BMW Z4 (E89). AUTODOC recommends:
  • The replacement procedure is the same for the ignition coils of all cylinders.
  • All work should be done with the engine stopped.
Replacement: ignition coil – BMW Z4 (E89). Take the following steps:
  1. Step 1
    Open the hood.
    Step 2
    Use a fender protection cover to prevent damaging paintwork and plastic parts of the car.
    Step 3
    How to change Ignition Coil on BMW Z4 E89 2009 - free PDF and video manuals
    Unscrew the fasteners of the cabin filter housing cover. Use a drive socket #8. Use a ratchet wrench.
  2. Step 4
    How to replace BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive 23 i 2010 Ignition Coil - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Remove the cabin filter housing cover.
    AUTODOC recommends:
    Replacement: ignition coil – BMW Z4 (E89). Do not use excessive force when removing the part as this may damage it.
  3. Step 5
    BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 35 i 2011 Ignition Coil replacement: free workshop manuals
    Remove the wiper arm covers.
  4. Step 6
    Changing Ignition Coil on BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive 30 i 2012 by yourself
    Detach the connectors from the climate control sensors.
  5. Step 7
    Remove the climate control sensors.
    Step 8
    How to remove BMW Z4 sDrive 35 is 2013 Ignition Coil - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Unscrew the fasteners of the lower part of the scuttle panel. Use a drive socket #8. Use a ratchet wrench.
  6. Step 9
    How to replace Ignition Coil on BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) 2014: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Detach the cable duct from the upper part of the microfilter housing. Use a flat screwdriver.
  7. Step 10
    How hard is it to do yourself: Ignition Coil replacement on BMW Z4 E89 sDrive18i 2.0 2015 - download illustrated guide
    Remove the lower part of the scuttle panel.
  8. Step 11
    Need to know how to renew Ignition Coil on BMW Z4 2016? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Unscrew the engine cover fastener. Use HEX No.H5. Use a ratchet wrench.
  9. Step 12
    Changing of Ignition Coil on BMW Z4 E89 2009 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Remove the engine cover.
    Replacement: ignition coil – BMW Z4 (E89). Tip:
    Do not apply excessive force when removing the part. Otherwise you may damage it.
  10. Step 13
    BMW Z4 sDrive35is 3.0 Ignition Coil replacement: online guides and video tutorials
    Detach the connector from the ignition coil.
  11. Step 14
    Replacing Ignition Coil on BMW Z4 E89 2011 sDrive 23 i by yourself
    Treat the ignition coil connector with electronic spray. The spray will protect the electrical contacts from corrosion, oxidation, and will reduce the contact resistance.
  12. Step 15
    Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive 35 is 2012 Ignition Coil DIY replacement workshop manual
    Take out the ignition coil from the spark plug well.
  13. Step 16
    How to change Ignition Coil on BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) 2013 - tips and tricks
    Treat the ignition coil tips. Use high-temperature grease. Use a flat screwdriver.
  14. Step 17
    Step-by-step recommendations for DIY replacement BMW Z4 E89 2014 sDrive 35 is Ignition Coil
    Install the new ignition coil to the spark plug well. Make sure you hear a click indicating that it is locked in place.
  15. Step 18
    DIY replacement of Ignition Coil on BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive20i 2.0 2015 is not an issue anymore with our step-by-step tutorial
    Plug in the ignition coil connector.
  16. Step 19
    How to change Ignition Coil on BMW Z4 E89 2009 - free PDF and video manuals
    Install the engine cover and secure it.
    Replacement: ignition coil – BMW Z4 (E89). AUTODOC experts recommend:
    Make sure the engine cover is properly seated. It should not be displaced with respect to the guiding fasteners.Do not apply excessive force when installing the part. Otherwise you may damage the fasteners.
Was this manual helpful?
Please rate this manual on a scale from 1 to 5. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.
Users voted – 0
Your profile is your personal assistant.

It can track car expenses, keep a car log and replacement schedule, and save favourite materials, notes and documents

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!
Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.
BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) Ignition Coil replace by yourself - Scan QR-code and download AUTODOC CLUB app
Scan

To download the app:

• - scan the QR code
  • - download from App Store
  • - download from Google Play
DIY BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) Ignition Coil replacement - online guide
Tips & tricks for your BMW Z4 Roadster (E89)
View more
  • How to change Coil pack on BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive20i 2.0 - replacement tricks
    How to clean an engine bay | AUTODOC
  • Changing Ignition coil pack BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 23 i - Replacement Tips
    How to wash your car in winter | AUTODOC tips
  • Maintenance Hacks - BMW Z4 Roadster (E89) sDrive 35 i Ignition coils replacement guide
    DIY jack restoration | AUTODOC tips
  • Replace Coil packs on BMW Z4 E89 - free video tips
    How do EGR valves work? | AUTODOC