Important!
This replacement procedure can be used for:
BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 20 d, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 30 d, BMW X3 (E83) 3.0 i xDrive, BMW X3 (E83) 2.5 i, BMW X3 (E83) 3.0 d, BMW X3 (E83) 2.0 d, BMW X3 (E83) 2.0 i, BMW X3 (E83) 3.0 d, BMW X3 (E83) 3.0 si, BMW X3 (E83) 2.5 si, BMW X3 (E83) 3.0 sd, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 20 i, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 25 i, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 30 i, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 20 d, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 18 d, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 30 d, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 35 d, BMW X3 (E83) 2.5 i, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 18 d, BMW X3 (E83) 2.5 si xDrive, BMW X3 (E83) 3.0 i, BMW X3 (E83) 3.0 si, BMW X3 (E83) 3.0 d, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 30 i, BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 30 i View more

The steps may slightly vary depending on the car design.

How to change Front wheel bearing on BMW X3 E83 TUTORIAL | AUTODOC

video
All the parts you need to replace – Wheel Bearing for X3 (E83) and other BMW models
How to change Wheel bearing kit on BMW X3 E83 2.0 d – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Wheel bearing kit
How to change Wheel bearing on BMW X3 E83 2.0 d – step-by-step instructions for straightforward car repair
Wheel bearing
Tools
Replacement: wheel bearing – BMW X3 E83. List of the tools you'll need:
Wire brush
WD-40 spray
Brake cleaner
Copper grease
Combination spanner #18
Combination spanner #22
HEX bit no.H5
HEX bit no.H6
Drive socket # 16
Drive socket # 22
Drive socket # 36
Wheel impact socket #17
Ratchet wrench
Torque wrench
Flat Screwdriver
Flat chisel
Hammer
Rubber mallet
Bush and bearing driver set
Circlip pliers
Crow bar
Wheel chock
Replacement: wheel bearing – BMW X3 E83. AUTODOC experts recommend:
  • Do not re-use the bearing assembly of your BMW X3 E83 car.
  • The wheel hub bearing replacement procedure is identical for both wheels on the same axle.
  • All work should be done with the engine stopped.
Replacement: wheel bearing – BMW X3 E83. Recommended sequence of steps:
  1. Step 1
    How to change Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 E83 2003 - free PDF and video manuals
    Secure the wheels with chocks.
  2. Step 2
    How to replace BMW X3 (E83) 2.0 d 2004 Wheel Bearing - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Loosen the wheel mounting bolts. Use wheel impact socket #17.
  3. Step 3
    Raise the front of the car and secure on supports.
    Step 4
    BMW X3 E83 3.0 d 2005 Wheel Bearing replacement: free workshop manuals
    Unscrew the wheel bolts.
    Replacement: wheel bearing – BMW X3 E83. Tip:
    To avoid injury, hold up the wheel when unscrewing the bolts.
  4. Step 5
    Changing Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 20 d 2006 by yourself
    Remove the wheel.
  5. Step 6
    Clean the fastener of the driveshaft. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
    Step 7
    How to remove BMW X3 3.0 i xDrive 2007 Wheel Bearing - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Loosen the fastener of the driveshaft. Use a drive socket #36. Use a ratchet wrench.
  6. Step 8
    How to replace Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 (E83) 2008: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Clean the brake caliper bracket fasteners. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
  7. Step 9
    How hard is it to do yourself: Wheel Bearing replacement on BMW X3 E83 2.5 i 2009 - download illustrated guide
    Unscrew the caliper bracket fastening. Use a drive socket #16. Use a ratchet wrench.
  8. Step 10
    Need to know how to renew Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 2010? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Spread the brake pads. Use a crowbar.
  9. Step 11
    Changing of Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 E83 2011 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Remove the brake caliper together with its bracket.
    Replacement: wheel bearing – BMW X3 E83. AUTODOC recommends:
    Tie the caliper to the suspension or to the body with a wire without disconnecting from the brake hose to prevent depressurization of the brake system.Make sure that the brake caliper is not hanging on the brake hose.Don't press the brake pedal after the brake caliper has been removed. As a result, the piston can fall out from the brake cylinder, and brake fluid leakage and depressurization of the system may occur. Check the brake caliper bracket, brake caliper guide pins and boots. Clean them. Replace, if necessary.
  10. Step 12
    BMW X3 xDrive30d 3.0 Wheel Bearing replacement: online guides and video tutorials
    Clean the brake disc fasteners. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
  11. Step 13
    Replacing Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 E83 2004 2.0 d by yourself
    Unscrew the brake disc fastening. Use HEX No.H6. Use a ratchet wrench.
  12. Step 14
    X3 (E83) 3.0 i xDrive 2005 Wheel Bearing DIY replacement workshop manual
    Remove the brake disc.
  13. Step 15
    Clean the fastener connecting the ball joint to the steering knuckle. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
    Step 16
    How to change Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 (E83) 2006 - tips and tricks
    Unscrew the fastener connecting the ball joint of the rear control arm to the steering knuckle. Use a combination spanner #22.
  14. Step 17
    Detach the rear control arm from the steering knuckle. Use a crowbar. Use a hammer.
    Step 18
    Clean the fastener connecting the tie rod end to the steering knuckle. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
    Step 19
    Step-by-step recommendations for DIY replacement BMW X3 E83 2007 3.0 i xDrive Wheel Bearing
    Unscrew the end fastening nut to the steering knuckle. Use a drive socket #22. Use a ratchet wrench.
  15. Step 20
    DIY replacement of Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 (E83) 2.0 sd 2008 is not an issue anymore with our step-by-step tutorial
    Disconnect the tie rod end from the steering knuckle. Use a hammer.
  16. Step 21
    Clean the fastener connecting the ball joint to the steering knuckle. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
  17. Step 22
    How to replace BMW X3 (E83) 2.0 d 2004 Wheel Bearing - step-by-step manuals and video guides
    Unscrew the fastener connecting the ball joint of the front control arm to the steering knuckle. Use a drive socket #22. Use a ratchet wrench.
  18. Step 23
    BMW X3 E83 3.0 d 2005 Wheel Bearing replacement: free workshop manuals
    Detach the front control arm from the steering knuckle. Use a hammer.
  19. Step 24
    Clean the ABS sensor fastener. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
    Step 25
    Changing Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 (E83) xDrive 20 d 2006 by yourself
    Unscrew the ABS sensor fastener. Use HEX No.H5. Use a ratchet wrench.
  20. Step 26
    How to remove BMW X3 3.0 i xDrive 2007 Wheel Bearing - online easy-to-follow instructions
    Disconnect the ABS sensor.
  21. Step 27
    Clean the fasteners connecting the shock strut to the steering knuckle. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
    Step 28
    How to replace Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 (E83) 2008: download PDF manuals and video instructions
    Unscrew the lower fastener connecting the shock strut to the steering knuckle. Use a combination spanner #18. Use a drive socket #16. Use a ratchet wrench.
  22. Step 29
    How hard is it to do yourself: Wheel Bearing replacement on BMW X3 E83 2.5 i 2009 - download illustrated guide
    Remove the fastening bolt.
  23. Step 30
    Need to know how to renew Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 2010? This free workshop manual will help you to do it yourself
    Remove the drive shaft. Use a flat screwdriver.
    Replacement: wheel bearing – BMW X3 E83. Tip from AUTODOC:
    If necessary, use a rubber mallet.
  24. Step 31
    Disconnect the steering knuckle from the shock absorber strut. Use a hammer.
    Step 32
    Changing of Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 E83 2011 won't be an issue if you follow this illustrated step-by-step guide
    Remove the steering knuckle together with the hub.
  25. Step 33
    BMW X3 xDrive30d 3.0 Wheel Bearing replacement: online guides and video tutorials
    Press the wheel hub out from the tapered roller bearing. Use a bush and bearing driver set. Use a hammer.
  26. Step 34
    Replacing Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 E83 2004 2.0 d by yourself
    Remove the retaining ring from the steering knuckle. Use circlip pliers. Use a flat screwdriver.
  27. Step 35
    X3 (E83) 3.0 i xDrive 2005 Wheel Bearing DIY replacement workshop manual
    Press out the wheel hub bearing. Use a bush and bearing driver set.
  28. Step 36
    Clean the hub bearing mounting seat. Use a wire brush. Use WD-40 spray.
    Step 37
    How to change Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 (E83) 2006 - tips and tricks
    Press the new bearing in the steering knuckle. Use a bush and bearing driver set. Use a hammer.
    Replacement: wheel bearing – BMW X3 E83. AUTODOC experts recommend:
    Check to make sure the wheel hub bearing is positioned correctly. Avoid its misalignment. Stop pressing on the surface of the bearing immediately after it has been fitted into its mounting seat.
  29. Step 38
    Step-by-step recommendations for DIY replacement BMW X3 E83 2007 3.0 i xDrive Wheel Bearing
    Install the retaining ring in the steering knuckle. Use circlip pliers.
  30. Step 39
    DIY replacement of Wheel Bearing on BMW X3 (E83) 2.0 sd 2008 is not an issue anymore with our step-by-step tutorial
    Press the wheel hub into the bearing inner race. Use a bush and bearing driver set.
  31. Step 40
    Install the steering knuckle with a hub in assembly.
Was this manual helpful?
Please rate this manual on a scale from 1 to 5. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.
Users voted – 0
Your profile is your personal assistant.

It can track car expenses, keep a car log and replacement schedule, and save favourite materials, notes and documents

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!
Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.
BMW X3 (E83) Wheel Bearing replace by yourself - Scan QR-code and download AUTODOC CLUB app
Scan

To download the app:

• - scan the QR code
  • - download from App Store
  • - download from Google Play
DIY BMW X3 (E83) Wheel Bearing replacement - online guide
Tips & tricks for your BMW X3 (E83)
View more
  • How to change Wheel bearings on BMW X3 (E83) 2.0 sd - replacement tricks
    How to choose the right engine oil for your car | AUTODOC
  • Changing Hub bearing BMW X3 E83 2.0 d - Replacement Tips
    Important differences between car tools | AUTODOC tips