AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / BMW / wynns hydraulic valve lifter treatment- BMW e46 330ci (2003)

Back to topics

wynns hydraulic valve lifter treatment- BMW e46 330ci (2003)
BMW 3 Coupe (E46)

• @Hatiltas Apr 06, 2021
    I’ve got a convertible 2003 E46 330CI with mileage of 80,000, a full-service history from BMW, and it’s been very well maintained by previous owners and myself.

I love it, but the tappet noise is awful for the first couple of minutes from a cold start. It’s actually embarrassing! My neighbor is a mechanic and keeps telling me there must be a problem with it. I’ve told him that I’ve looked it up and it’s normal and not an issue but I wish I could make it stop just because it’s so annoying.
    I carried out the recommended bleeding procedure and it didn’t help. Has anyone tried wynns hydraulic valve lifter treatment? Did it make a difference?

Cheers

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Prioned Apr 08, 2021
    I’ve used 2 bottles of Wynn’s on my car to see if it would stop it from misfiring on cold start. 
    Not because of the tappet sound but because it wasn’t starting correctly. 
    The product didn’t cause any issues at all. I did a lot of research online beforehand to make sure it couldn’t cause any harm and didn’t find any BMW drivers who had any complaints about it. I used 2 bottles of it for more than two months and didn’t have any problems. 
    I got in touch with the manufacturer to make sure it couldn’t cause an oil leak because I’ve heard oil cleaners can do that. 
    They told me it wouldn’t and that was my experience too. 

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon