AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / VW / vw golf wont start but turns over (1J1) 1.4 16V 2002

Back to topics

vw golf wont start but turns over (1J1) 1.4 16V 2002
VW Golf IV Hatchback (1J1)

• @Dorge1963 Apr 07, 2021

My VW Golf won’t start but turns over and I can’t figure out what the issue is. It’s a 2002 VW Golf IV Hatchback – (1J1) 1.4 16V – that I bought recently. I test drove it twice and since buying it I’ve taken it out a couple of times. All of these times it started fine, but then last night it wouldn’t start. When I test drove it I started it myself, it’s not like the person I bought it off had a special trick or special procedure to get it going or anything like that. I just pressed the key halfway in, waited for the engine to warm up, then pressed the key in fully, and it started without any problems.

Now when I try to start it, the engine will turn over but won’t start. It just keeps cranking. If I hold the crank for longer than around 5 seconds the message “STOP! OIL PRESSURE, ENGINE OFF” comes up. There’s enough fuel in the tank for another 100 miles or so. The oil looks to be at a good level and I topped it up a little to be sure.

I did a VCDS scan and there were a lot of error codes at first but they were probably just old ones that just hadn’t been cleared. I cleared the errors and did another scan. The only error codes the second time around were:

000801 – Engine Speed Sensor [G28]
    005714 – Please check DTC Memory of Transmission Controller

Any ideas about why the car won’t start?

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @Veng1975 Apr 09, 2021

Make sure the battery is fully charged so you can rule that out as a cause. If you can do a VCDS scan again you should check that you’re getting a minimum of 250 rpm when cranking or else it won’t start.

• NISSAN NP300 Navara Pickup (D40) 2.5 dCi 4WD
    @user_338141 May 01, 2021
    Crankshaft sensor

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon