AUTODOC FORUM / Car discussions by make / MERCEDES-BENZ / The ”F” on the dashboard

Back to topics

The ”F” on the dashboard
MERCEDES-BENZ A-Class (W168)

• MERCEDES-BENZ A-Class (W168) A 160 (168.033, 168.133)
    @MARKO Mar 16, 2021

Hi please can anyone help me I have a mercedes A160 Classic Lungo  Auto 2003 with petrol which was working fine the all of the sudden a ‘F’ showed on the display and it only drove as if it was in 2 nd gear doing 40mph and don’t change them.

After clearing codes through computer scanning , “F” goes away. You can see 1st, 2nd , 3rd (basically all the gears) but only when car is stationary. As soon as you try to drive it, it goes back into limp mode and the big fat “F” comes right back on.
    Some of my services that i have contact , they told me that my car has broken ECU , or GEAR SELECTOR.
    I dont have any idea what can be concretely
    Can you help me ?
    Thanks.

Started

Latest reply

Replies

Views

• @user_1260833 Nov 26, 2022

Hi please can anyone help me I have a mercedes A160 Classic Lungo  Auto 2003 with petrol which was working fine the all of the sudden a ‘F’ showed on the display and it only drove as if it was in 2 nd gear doing 40mph and don’t change them.

After clearing codes through computer scanning , “F” goes away. You can see 1st, 2nd , 3rd (basically all the gears) but only when car is stationary. As soon as you try to drive it, it goes back into limp mode and the big fat “F” comes right back on.
    Some of my services that i have contact , they told me that my car has broken ECU , or GEAR SELECTOR.
    I dont have any idea what can be concretely
    Can you help me ?
    Thanks.
  • @Sunight83 Dec 08, 2022
    I would first change the selector, and if it does not help, then change the ECU. I think the selector will be cheaper than the ECU.

Only registered users may reply to topics and posts

Install the AUTODOC CLUB app!

Your personal car expenses manager, maintenance tips, reminders about upcoming appointments and service intervals, DIY repair instructions – all this on your phone.

Autodoc CLUB app qr-code
Scan

To download the app:

Autodoc CLUB App icon